Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Introduction

So I started this blogging thing more or less to help me with doing devotions everyday. It would serve three purposes: 1. To keep myself accountable, 2. To share with everyone my thoughts on scripture I should be reading that day and 3. To record my thoughts because journals are so old school and apparently blogging is the hip thing to do nowadays (And yes, I used the "term" hip as if I was 40 years old, no offense to anyone above 39 years old).

Lord-willing I will be reading at least 2 chapters a day and I'll share thoughts and points that God might want to relay to us. So to start:

Genesis 34:
A worldly perspective on revenge is one that is focused not on God's justice but our own
1. Justice that is worldly is moved by sorrow/grief and fury, or in other words by pure emotion. (these are the very things that moved Jacob's sons, not God's justice, or in other words righteous judgement)
2. In our sin and revenge, we will do anything to carry it out, even manipulating and twisting what God has given to us to our own ends. (God's covenant/promise was manipulated by the sons to weaken the enemy, the very blessing tarnished because it was used as mere leverage above enemies)
3. God responds to our rebellion and our rebellious nature by pouring His own vengeance. He does so by taking all of His wrath and fury, and pours it on His Son on the cross.

Genesis 35:
God gives the following reasons why He alone should be worshipped:
1. He is the lone provider and that all things come from Him, not idols or ourselves (He's the one who delivered Israel from Esau and gave to Jacob his wealth)
2. He is the one who accomplishes His promises (renewal of the promises to Israel, the same ones He made to Abraham and Isaac)
3. We are not eternal or perfect like God (the mortality of the characters at the end of the passage)

These are important reminders to us because we look for things in our daily lives that will result in our glory and our praise. In other words, this passage is basically putting the points in this sense: We cannot provide for anything without God, we fail at fulfilling promises perfectly like God, and we tend to worship what is human, what is fallible, and what is not perfect (just look at how society has embraced being human and elevated it to something we should strive for).

**Note, I will probably skim through Genealogies because they're a pain to deal with

1 comment:

  1. Michael! This is such a good idea! I'll be following you. I'm also trying to keep myself accountable this summer reading the Bible every day from start to finish, so this is really inspiring. What's your reading plan this summer?

    -Shiyuan

    ReplyDelete