Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday Prayer

"Heavenly Father, make death and eternity more real to me. Remind me that if Jesus is to be our example, let us lay down our life for the Glory that you deserve. Build in me a heart  Father that opens my eyes to the reality of my situation, the reality that I'm going to die and I will have to stand before your throne naked before the heavenly hosts. And on that day, I may be reminded of Your Grace, that you saved me from standing there in shame because I have wasted my life in worldliness.

Destroy in me any traces of idolatry toward my relationship with my girlfriend, my hopes for a strong/glamorous career, and a family. And let me be JOYFUL in dwelling in You, even if that means I'm might not be in a relationship, even if it means I will not have the career to be proud of or the money to support myself, even if it means I will not have support from anyone. Let my heart grasp what it truly means to give up myself during Lent. Let my heart abandon its fruitless dreams. Let me live a life that looks to the world like my treasure is up in Heaven and not on Earth.

As I enter this Lenten season, deprive me Father of things that don't bring You Glory. Open my eyes to the work that the Spirit is set to finish in me, and let me share in Your joy as the craftsman of my soul. Bring to remembrance what Your Son has done for me at the cross daily. This I pray in Christ's name, Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment